Saturday 18 January 2014

Geocache containers

As I'm sure many have, we have seen some fantastic containers around the place. From well hidden to well built, there are certain caches that I have been amazed and inspired by over my time as a geocacher.

I was approached by a charity that my Geocaching mother is involved in over the summer and asked to place a series of caches to extend the audience of a new walk they were setting up, linked to a local history project. With funding from them, I was happy to oblige. I set up the caches but they are simply basic boxes, albeit some of which are hidden in thoughtful, clever ways. (Modest, I know!) These days, I'm a little embarrassed by them.

I have spent some time recently on Pinterest, eBay and Etsy looking at new containers and different, original ideas and I'm starting to get a good feel for what I want to do with new caches, and to gradually replace the existing caches that I own. I have an old birdhouse, horribly out of place in the corner of my lounge, that I want to look at adapted to fit a cache, but today I excelled myself (Such a very modest post!). Browsing a local pound shop, I stumbled across a garden ornament shaped like a frog. Someone could make that into a really great cache I think to myself. Then it occurs to me; that person could be me!

Turns out it's a lot easier than I thought. The ornament has an electric circuit in it to create noise; having removed that, I've been left with the perfect space to fit a cache. It just needs the waterproofing bringing up to scratch and it's ready to go. Needless to say, I'm more than a little bit chuffed.

Ribbit!

Also on the purchase was a solar light fitting; I've seen a couple on Etsy that looked impressive, but I'm not totally sure what I'm going to do with this one yet. An idea will come, I'm sure...

-RealFireFlies

No comments:

Post a Comment