Sunday 16 February 2014

Lab Caches

Lab Caches are a new, exciting trial that Geocaching are investigating. The basic premise is that you place a geocache that only one person can find, and that they can take away with them. Only they have the co-ordinates and it's up to them to find them.

The Peterborough Geocachers UK Facebook group decided to take the opportunity to use this for a "Secret Santa" type affair, where those who want to be involved could be assigned a cacher to set up a Lab Geocache for.

Naturally, I signed up! GobbyandWhinge got me drawn out of the hat, and today Hazel of G&W contacted me to let me know that my cache was ready, and could I please pick it up that night. It was 7:30 already, but I was prepared to go! The cache was in the middle of the very beautiful Gault Woods, and it was an area I knew well, but given the darkness and fearing for my own security I persuaded my Anticacher to come along!

The woods were "locked" (there appears to be pedestrian access through an unlocked side gate) so we left the car on the road and walked to the woods. It was exceptionally dark, and it was a pleasure to see the stars so beautifully. The local wildlife were very vocal, both in cries and calls as well as moving around. I can only assume it was owls leaping around the tree tops as they sounded huge!

Walking to GZ, I was telling my anticacher that, in one of the attempts to find GC1M5MC - Gault Wood Walk, I had scouted the whole area we were heading to (It was too far out, but I was desperate at the time!). We came up to GZ, and there was something beautiful in the tree stump...

They had left me a beautiful pot of fireflies, glowing in the darkness! We retrieved the pot and walked back to the car, admiring them as we went.
Back at home, we got a better look at the home made fireflies....
and had an anagram puzzle to solve, made of beautiful magnet mini-buttons.

I'm so grateful to have such a beautiful cache just for me! I intend to treasure it for a very long time. :)

-RFF
-Finds Today: RFF - 1
-Total Finds: RFF - 312

No comments:

Post a Comment