Wednesday 19 February 2014

Playing Bingo, and a long trek south....

Following on from our recent disappointment on a day out caching, I have spurred myself into new ways of finding Geocaching to be "not all about the numbers" - the smilies are great and all, but it's not the be all and end all. Since the new year Pip_Squeek and I have been aiming to fill up out D/T grids, but that's not enough for me.

Heading down to celebrate a friend's birthday, I searched around Bluewater in Kent for any caches I may have a go at while I'm there, and stumbled up GC2XRTH - Blockbuster-Stylee Bingoish Challenge. This looks like just the thing I'm after! I'm in the area regularly visiting said friend, so I can claim the cache when it's complete. I sign up. :)

Yesterday, I headed down south to celebrate. This was the perfect opportunity to fill a box - 2 caches 100km apart in a day. Before I leave the Fenland, I head up and claim GC2J3M1 - Poppies on Parade - Friday Bridge. Pip_Squeek had this one a little while back, I had never got around to it, so this is the perfect opportunity. It gives me a starting point, and as long as I claim a cache in Greenhithe or the surrounding area, I can fill that square.

Heading down, I usually stop Birchanger Green for a rest, but a little bit of Geo-searching locates GC1VBN7 The Takeley Heathen Stone, an EarthCache nearby which I decide to pick up instead. I had worried about this, as Earthcaches have been known to take a while, but this is a quick one. It also gives me two different types of Geocaches... I could be onto another square here, 4 different types of geocaches in one day.

After battling the QE2 Bridge, with an accident halfway across causing chaos, I pick up my friend and persuade him that Geocaching is something he really, really wants to do on his birthday. Naturally he gives in and we head out for a multi; GC4Y2JA Church Micro 5171 - South Darenth St George. I'm the second to find, and the on-site puzzle is nice here. A good little cache. :)

The final cache needed to be different... There is a letterbox cache close to Bluewater, but my Anticacher isn't keen on geocaching, let alone geocaching and walking. Instead, I have a puzzle on standby that I had solved last time I had visited my sister, but had never got around to claiming, so we grab that one instead.

Overall, I feel it's been a really productive day. It's been so nice to chase purpose, not numbers, and this is something I can see myself really getting into.. :)

-RFF
-Finds today: 4
- Finals total: 326

No comments:

Post a Comment